Tuesday, August 24, 2010

An Encouraging Sign

I just finished writing my monthly column for Shotgun News, and it was about how dramatically the world has turned around with respect to gun rights in the last twenty years.  I cited both U.S. v. Skoien (7th Cir. 2009) and U.S. v. Williams (7th Cir. 2010) as examples of how deferential the courts have become to the Second Amendment.   I would never have imagined, when I started researching For the Defense of Themselves and the State, how rapidly what I was writing would become the norm in American law.  (It was kind of cool to read Skoien and see a paper by me cited, too!)

UPDATE: Skoien has worked its way back up to the 7th Circuit, where an en banc panel upheld the law this time around--almost certainly provoking an appeal to the Supreme Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment