Sunday, October 9, 2016

Seroquel Is Supposed to Make Me Sleep

But my brain starts thinking too hard ("This brain goes to 11," if you watched This is Spinal Tap).  The solution to the problem of accurately measuring holes in that 24" long piece of channel also solves a shipping problem.  Instead of a single 24" long channel, use three 8" pieces, joined by 6" long pieces of aluminum plate holding these together with four 1/4"-20 bolts.  Use 1/4" wall channel to increase stiffness so the joining plates are not there for stiffness, but holding the 8" long channels together, although they will definitely add some stiffness.  To get the required 3" width, I will still use 3" plate, but now in 8" lengths, held to the channel by both the 5/16"-18 bolts that hold the casters in place and 1/4"-20 bolts holding the 3" wide plates and the 1.5" plates together.  The joining plates will bolt through the 3" wide and 1.5" wide plates.

This solves the precision problem without buying a Bridgeport.  The 6" plates are symmetrical.  I put each end of the plate in the mill and drill pilot holes at 1" and 2" from the end, then reverse the plate in the mill and do it again.  Drill 1/4" through holes through the pilot holes.  Use these holes as templates on the drill presxs  for drilling holes in the end of the 8" sections, then tap those holes in the 8" sections as 1/4"-20.  All the distances are produced on the mill or by drilling through those precisely positioned holes.

How does this solve shipping?  I have become quite dependent on USPS Priority Mail.  They have a variety of odd sized boxes, but even their board game size box won't handle a 24" length of channel.  But I can put 8" channels side by side in a single layer in a Large Priority Mail box.  The channels are 1.5" wide; the 3" wide and 1.5" plates will mostly go inside, so even four sides will only be 6" high.  This will be an assemble yourself kit (simpler than assembling bikes on Christmas morning), with the casters already installed on the end of each segment.  Just bolt the joining plates together for each side of the Dobsonian platform.

Another advantage is its modularity.  For a small Dobsonian, two segments (16") on a side.  For a big one, three segments (24").  Then up to four segments (32") per side.  I can mass produce the joining plates, the ends with the casters on them, and just combine them for 16", 24", or 32" on a side groundboards.  I am so pleased with myself that I may not be able to get my head through the office door!

I just wish I had time to do this before flying to New England tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Seroquel is the first drug they give a person when admitted to a mental institution. It makes one drowsy as hell but does not allow one to actually sleep. Despite this it is North Carolina's most prescribed drug for sleeplessness. Maybe more physicians should experience the some of the drugs they prescribe.
    I would find an alternative if I were you.

    More info: https://www.seroquelxr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures would be nice. Sometimes I draw a blank with descriptions. (brain damage, check)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume you've tried melatonin and it doesn't work for your sleeplessness? If you haven't I'd suggest the 10mg dose along with warm milk and honey at night. My wife got off her sleeping meds with that combo, and it's worked well with others in her family who've had similar issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sleep fine. The doctor is trying to tame my hypomania.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it takes a bit higher doses for hypomania, I think.

    Low does seroquel (75mg or less) has almost no psychiatric effect but does have a sedative effect through its action on histamine receptors.

    Hypomania + sleep don't go together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be aware of what you consume in the evening. I've had a few things that originally were safe close to bed time, switch to acting like caffeine.

    ReplyDelete